Family Photos

Friday, 1 November 2013

Well, Wendy did it again. You may remember my maternity photos, if not, you can check them out here.  The day was way less than perfect, and because I am far too lazy to type out the entire story, I am going to copy and paste Wendy's words from her blog post about our session.

"Nat and I frantically texted ideas back and forth about our styled shoot. The weather looked perfect and the backdrop of her grandparent's home awaited. Natalie had the teepee ready to be set up in the desired spot and noticed the neighbours had cut down all the gorgeous trees that we had planned as our backdrop. That was the least of our problems, so we would soon learn. We were making great headway. We had left our home at a great hour and were trekking along at a decent pace. Until the dead stop of traffic. There was a transport truck collision, and every side route we attempted had some sort of detour; a marathon, construction, traffic. We called Natalie's husband Lucas who maneuvered us through the country roads but things were looking grim. The sun was going down, it was well past their daughter Ellia's happy hour and we had been on the road for 8 hours. We texted each other: I'm going to cry.

With about 15 minutes to spare before it was completely black, we ran out of the car, quickly hugged, and although I hadn't seen her family in a year, had no time for pleasantries. The mosquitos were awful. There was no time for a re-do. We had planned this for over a year and now had 15 minutes to make it happen. You do what you gotta do. And this is what we captured.

After the shoot, we visited with Nat's grandparents and had an espresso in true Italian form. The Italians differ a bit from region to region. For example, in Hamilton, we pronounce their last name Pap-AY-lee-a. They pronounce it Pap-a-LEE-ah. Either way you say it, the Papalia's as always were hospitable and lovely to visit with. We stayed the night at Nat's gorgeous new home and ordered in take out from Lucas' bar. We treated ourselves to some drinks and chatted until the wee hours of the morning."

So that pretty much sums up the day, but hey, Wendy and her husband Michael got some totally amazing shots anyway! I told her I had little expectation, since Ellia is a crazy woman and does NOT like to sit still or smile for photos since she's started walking a few months ago. How great for me. I think she's secretly waiting until she's older again to pull out the model poses like she used to. She just knows that a lot of photoshoots are in her future and if she's anything like I was (which doesn't seem to be much at the moment, ha) she will love dressing up and getting her photo taken! Wishing thinking eh. 

I really wanted to use my Grandmother's couch that we used in our maternity photos. One day, it will be all mine :)

Then Wendy and Michael took a few photos of just Lucas and I. The mosquitoes were SO BAD, Lucas was not happy about it. I literally have a million bites that have caused scares on my ankles and forehead...if you look close enough, you can see the pesky buggers.  We never had engagement photos done 5 years ago, so I'm going to pretend these are from our 5-year-from-engagement-photo-session. K?!
Then we had to take some photos together of course.

Wow, that was a lot of photos, thanks for scrolling all the way down! 
I will be taking Ellia's one year photos, which will probably include a cake or some type of sweet, sometime in the very near future.

Thanks again Wendy, I love you and am so grateful for the memories you have captured for us. 
 I hope one day soon I can do the same for you!


Styling by me


  1. These are perfect! Loved every single one! You have a very lovely family and you are beyond gorgeous!! Xoxo

  2. GORGEOUS!! There's no way this was done in 15 minutes. It feels so peaceful and serene.


glitter & the girls. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.